The Innovation Centre was established in 2002 and is located within the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) Campus – the fastest growing regional university in Australia. USC has over 12,000 students and is at the centre of a thriving knowledge precinct with over $3 Billion in projects underway within a 7 kilometer radius. Globally, tech-savvy regions such as Silicon Valley grow exponentially because of strong intellectual capital and human networks – driven by disruptive, innovative entrepreneurs, with access to investors, advisors and a vibrant ecosystem.
The Innovation Centre is well established as the key entrepreneurial hub for the Sunshine Coast region. The IC hosts regular events open to the wider Sunshine Coast community to maintain vital links between business, government, the University and our IC members. The IC also has deep connections with experienced mentors, advisors, business partners, venture capitalists and private and public sector contacts.
We’re plugged into a diverse array of high calibre local, regional, national and international networks and connections, that when connected through the Innovation Centre, give our members the best chance to dream big, make history and fly high.
- The ICSC Chairman and senior staff made a significant contribution to the development of the Sunshine Coast Economic Development Strategy 2013–33 and related action plans.
- The ICSC actively contributed to various business/community group discussions and initiatives.
- The ICSC sponsored and participated in numerous events such as USC – FAB Enterprise Day, new CoderDojo programs (teaching 7-17 year olds how to code), BizExpo, TEDxNoosa, World Environment Day, USC Research Week, USC Open Day, The Core (innovative Maroochydore CBD design project), “How to Start up a Business” and “Ideas2Market” forums.
- The ICSC assisted with various submissions and strategies, including:
- Sunshine Coast – 2014 Intelligent Community of the Year Nomination
- Queensland Government Science and Innovation Action Plan
- Queensland Government Digital Strategy (via its membership of the Startup Working Group – QLD)
- Sunshine Coast – Seven (7) High Value Industry and Investment Plans
- RDA’s Sunshine Coast Digital Participation Plan
- Marketing Plans for USC and the Sunshine Coast Council (Economic Unit)
- ICSC and its clean-tech clients exhibited at USC’s World Environment Day and Research Week events.
- ICSC is an active member of the USC Sustainability Management Committee and the Wildlife Management Sub Committee. Key projects for the ICSC included the expansion of the waste recycling program on campus and the environmental habitat project which saw the establishment of a Butterfly Garden near the ICSC foyer area.